Hello!! Welcome back, happy to have made time to be here and work on this new recipe for you 🤩
Every year for Christmas, my mom makes French Toast Casserole. She preps it on Christmas Eve, and then in the morning the entire house smells like glorious vanilla and cinnamon and all the sweet stuff as she puts it in the oven in the early morning. I mean early morning, probably right after Santa drops everything off. She pulls it out of the oven before we open presents, and then she serves it with warm maple syrup in the middle of unwrapping Christmas presents in front of the tree. We’re all in our pajamas, and we’re all drinking hot chocolate (except I think my mom has coffee).
My mom’s French Toast Casserole is truly magical and embodies the spirit of Christmas. This is my 3rd year in Australia for Christmas, and it always looks a little different. This is our first year in my our apartment together and I wanted to start my own French Toast Casserole tradition. It will never be my mom’s, but it’s a close second.
I lost my cool at Costco this week and bought bagels. They smelled amazing and they were 2 for $9.99 which is basically a STEAL. Fast forward like 4 days and they’re a little…crunchy. They’re on the brink of moldy so I panicked. Quickly chopped them up, threw them into a casserole dish, soaked them with cinnamon milk and let sit for 8 hours, then threw them in the oven with cream cheese for 45 minutes. Absolutely yummy.
French Toast Bagel Casserole
- 4-6 Bagels Chopped into quarters
- 2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 2 c. Milk (I used Oat Milk)
- 5 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cloves
- 1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. Ginger
- Spray a casserole dish (I used an 8×8 pan) with nonstick spray. You can't use parchment paper, it won't soak right or cook right
- Throw the chopped bagels into the prepared casserole dish
- In a small bowl, add the eggs, milk, and spices. Whisk well
- Pour the egg-milk mixture over the bagels and press down gently to soak all the pieces
- Cover and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight
- In the morning, or 4 hours later, preheat oven to 375° F (190° C)
- Cube cream cheese and sprinkle of the soaked bagel pieces
- Place in oven for 45-55 minutes, until it is no longer liquid and very think (Don't be surprised if it starts to pop-up)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool
- Serve with warm maple syrup and powdered sugar
That’s it! The overnight wait is the worst part, otherwise it’s super easy!! It’s super yummy, it tastes like Christmas in your mouth, 11/10 recommend.
Do you have a special Christmas tradition? Is there something you eat every Christmas morning? I would love to know, comment below or message me on Instagram. 😊
It feels good to write again, I literally have to schedule blogging into my time right now! I love being busy, but I miss being creative. Making space to blog more
See ya soon.