Hello and welcome back!
Earlier this week I posted a lengthy instagram post about how my blog turned a year old and posted throwback pictures of my first few instagram posts…what a difference and happy anniversary to my blog!
Again, I want to thank everyone that follows this blog and keeps checking in and reading my recipes and updates. There is not a huge following, but I notice the same people that follow and and read it, even those few people keep me motivated and creative in the kitchen.
I really want to take this blog further than I have before and I think I am going to do this by incorporating some of my lifestyle and background into each post. For example: instead of recipes, maybe focusing on what I do in a day-to-day, what an ‘ideal’ eating day looks like to me, go-to recipes that I incorporate once a week, a nightly menu, etc.
I understand not everyone cares about my life (LOL) and for those of you that just want the recipe, you know you can always find just the recipes under the recipes section.
Now, onto this magnificent mango salsa recipe.
I wanted to restart my blog motivation with any easy one as I begin to plan in advance and draft new posts, this salsa that I incorporate into my weekly menu is the perfect start!
Have you ever had an Australian mango? They are sweeter and juicier than any other mango I had back in the states. It is a great pair for savory, as it tastes really nice with salt and also pairs well with a little spice.
I love my mum’s salsa, I think it is the best…but it is just not this salsa. Adding the mangoes adds a nice sweet and salty balance that is both refreshing and also satisfying for a nice summer meal
– Make spicier by adding more red pepper flakes or chili powder
– Add more mangoes to serve more than 3 people, one large mango usually serves 2-3 (depending how hungry you are)
– Cook the onion with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to add a nice kick and little bit of crunch
– Grill the mangoes to add a smokey flavor
– Make sure the mangoes are slighty firm – but still soft. If they are overly soft, the salsa will be mushy and too juicy and not as good
– No mushy avocados either – might as well make mango guacamole and that is not mango salsa
– It might be cheating, but I do live by that taco seasoning, it adds some nice flavor and it comes with different spices that can add completely different dimensions and variations that are also magnificent
That is literally it for this recipe and good news! I have the next recipe and post already in my drafts…an actual first for me! Stick around for a really easy spag-bol recipe (that’s Spaghetti Bolognese in Aussie slang) that you will want to add to your menu rotation.
Also make sure you are following the instagram for daily updates and extra recipes/meal inspo!